Saturday, November 4, 2017

Herbal Medicine: Tinctures

Shalom Shalom!

As the weather is getting cooler, we are now in the mode of making sure that we are prepped for winter.  In the sense of this entry, I am referring to what we need to make sure that we are healthy...naturally.  When my Ish and I got together, we agreed that we wanted to live as natural of a life as possible--even to the point of weaning ourselves off of pharmaceuticals and other chemically produced remedies.  Over the spring and summer, I have been researching tinctures as a natural mode of medicine.  Tinctures are an extraction of herbal ingredients.  The most popular mode of extraction is alcohol; however, non-alcoholic tinctures can be made with apple cider vinegar or vegetable glycerin.  I prefer using the alcohol, not because I'm a lush, but because it will last a couple or years; whereas, those made with apple cider vinegar or vegetable glycerin will last a couple of weeks or months.  I would, however, recommend using apple cider vinegar or vegetable glycerin if making tinctures for children.

Tinctures also get to your bloodstream faster--which means quicker healing, relief, or getting the use of the properties from the herbs.  I have some tinctures that I made earlier--of which I will discuss the properties of later in this entry.  For this entry, I will be making a White Willow Bark tincture.  White Willow Bark is where the pharmaceutical companies got the idea of asprin, so essentially, this tincture is homemade asprin--without the difficult-to-pronounce ingredients.

To make this tincture, all you need is some White Willow Bark, alcohol (I used 80 proof vodka. Or apple cider vinegar or vegetable glycerin if making tinctures for children), and a jar to hold the tincture while it's brewing (I am using a one quart canning jar).

I get my herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs--as they are certified organic and/or wild.

Fill the jar half way with the White Willow Bark (or whatever herb you are using).  

Next, pour in the vodka...

..up to the bottom of the neck of the jar.

Put a lid on it...literally...

...and shake.  That's it!

This is the tincture after the initial shake.  Allow to sit, shaking at least once a day, for 4-6 weeks.  You will also need to label your tinctures--so that you can keep track of the brewing time.


Below, you will see the other tinctures that I made earlier--as well as a brief description as to what they are used for...

Chamomile is good for promoting sleep and relaxation,

Peppermint is good for getting rid of gas and aids in digestion.  Also, as the name implies, peppermint gives you a little "pep in your step".

Red Raspberry Leaf is the perfect women's herb.  It is good for relieving menstrual cramps.  It also tones and tightens the uterus--so that it can be in good shape for pregnancy and labor.  This herb also has a plethora of vitamins and minerals, and is good for women of all ages.  I've been using Red Raspberry Leaf in tea form (or as an infusion--which is a very strong tea) for years, and I have nothing but high praise and esteem to Yahuah for creating this herb.  It is AMAZING, and EVERY WOMAN should have red raspberry leaf in her herb cabinet.

Ginger is good nausea.  It also helps relieve menstrual cramps.
Sage is good for sore throats and coughs.  The sage that I used for this tincture was grown in my garden a couple years ago.  I dried it, and stored it in one quart canning jars.  To make this tincture, I took the dried sage leaves and pulverized them in a spice grinder.  I ground enough to fill up half of the jar before pouring in the vodka.

Cayenne is good for the heart.  It also helps to regulate blood pressure.  Unlike the other tinctures--that will sit for 4-6 weeks,  the cayenne tincture will sit for three months.  Based on my research, the pepper used for this tincture needs to be at least 90,000 heat units to be effective.  Unfortunately, the cayenne that I purchased has only 30,000 heat units.  To make for this shortcoming, I added seven Bird's Eye Chili peppers to the mix--which are 100,000 heat units each.  I also added some cayenne peppers that I grew in my garden and allow to dry.  I simply ground the dried peppers (both the cayenne and Bird's Eye Chili peppers) in the spice grinder before adding to the jar.

This Niddah Tincture is one that I personally formulated.  Niddah is the Hebrew word for the women's monthly purification, in other words..her period.  It is a combination of red raspberry leaf, nettle, and red clover.  As mentioned earlier, red raspberry leaf is good for relief of menstrual cramps.  Nettle has iron--which is good to relieve the fatigue caused by the blood loss. Red clover acts as a natural form of estrogen.  It helps restore the estrogen that is lost as a result of the menses.


Finishing The Tinctures

This tincture has been sitting for a little over six weeks.  I think it's about ready.


Prepare your "straining station".  Now is the time to separate the solid herbs from the liquid tincture.  What I did here was place a mesh strainer in a one quart measuring cup, and then lined the strainer with cheesecloth--to ensure that no solids get into my tincture.

Next, pour the contents onto the strainer and into the cup.

Pick up the cheesecloth and squeeze out any remaining liquid from the herbs. If you don't have cheesecloth, take a spoon and squeeze the herbs in the strainer--thus releasing the remaining liquid. 


Next, pour into a dark glass bottle.  You want to do this in a dark bottle to protect the properties in the tincture that can be easily lost with light.  These are 4 oz bottles with droppers.  I got them from Amazon at a very reasonable price.  The funnel came from Amazon as well.  You can pour in the tincture without a funnel.  It would, however, behoove you to get one--as it makes the pouring much neater and easier.  Fill up the bottle to the bottom of the neck.  Don't fill all the way--as it will overflow.

Next, label your tincture.  It wouldn't hurt to put the year that it was made--so that you know how long you've had it.  Remember, these tinctures are made using alcohol--so they should last for several years.

Because the bottles were 4 ounces, and the canning jars are 32 ounces, there is going to be much extra tincture.  What I did at this time was to rinse out the jars, put the remaining tincture back in the jar, and stored it in a cool, dark, dry place--like a closet.  Eventually, I would like to get some dark glass bottles to store them.  That will happen in due time.  Or what you also can do is recycle any dark glass bottles that you have (i.e. wine, olive oil)and store the tincture in that.  A shout out to Heidi at Rain Country for that idea!

The rest of the tinctures have been bottled--at least the ones that are ready.  Since these are medicine, I stored these bottles in the medicine cabinet.

The remaining tinctures are in a cool, dark, dry place.  These jars are currently in the hallway linen closet.


I hope that this entry inspires you to start making your own herbal medicine.  When doing this, it would definitely behoove you to do your research--as well as know yourself and your body, so that there are no adverse affects.  Despite these being natural, it would also behoove all to take caution if you are taking prescription medications are are allergic to any ingredients. If you are taking prescription medications, please discuss the use of herbal remedies with your doctor.  That way, you can lessen and/or diminish the chances of adverse interactions.  With consulting your doctor, I still say do you research--as you may discover something that your doctor may not have known. Remember, they are trained in the use of pharamaceutical and have very little or no knowledge about herbal medicine.  In doing your research and talking with your doctor, they also may use something from you...but I digress.  I would still encourge you to take the natural path--in knowing that Yahuah has provided the herbs of the field as both food and medicine.  

Dosage-wise, you can take a few drops to a dropper-full (depending on your tolerance--as these can sting a little bit) under your tongue or add to water or juice.  In my opinion, I would encourage you to do the former because it will enter your bloodstream faster.

If you do make tinctures, please care to share as to which ones you've made--as well as what they are for.  I would like to learn as much from you as I hope that you are learning from me.  I look forward to hearing from you about the herbal medicine that you make.  Until then, Shalom Shalom!

Bathshua




2 comments:

  1. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete