Monday, May 22, 2017

Cooking: Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Tomato Soup



Shalom shalom!
I posted a picture of this soup on Facebook, and of course, I was asked for the recipe.  So, here it is, as promised.

This soup was initially made out of necessity.  I was looking for something to prepare for dinner--as it was the day before our foodshop.  Naturally, we didn't have much in the fridge and cupboards ; however, knowing that red bell peppers and tomatoes go well together, red bell pepper and tomato soup came to mind.  I've seen it sold in stores and cafes, but who knows what's all in it.  That being said, and the fact that we strive to eat from scratch as much as possible, why not make my own?  At least I know what's in it and what's not. 

Unlike the broccoli soup in the last entry, this is not a quick soup to make.  Like the broccoli soup, it is delicious! So without further ado, here is the recipe:
The yield for this recipe is 4-6 servings.  You'll need:
*7 red bell peppers
*7 tomatoes
*1/2 red onion
*5 large garlic cloves
*1 cup water or vegetable stock (I didn't take out the vegetable stock from the freezer--which is why I used water)
*Olive oil
*Salt
*Thyme (fresh or dried.  If using fresh, you will use more than dried because the flavor is more concentrated when dried).
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C)
Cut the red bell peppers and tomatoes in large chunks.  Slice the onion crosswise, and add peeled garlic cloves (DISCLAIMER:  The recipe calls for 5 garlic cloves; however, I discovered a head that was in use.  That being said, I didn't use the new head on the picture of the ingredients.  That used head had about 11 smaller cloves of garlic.  That is perfectly fine).

The pictures below will show you how I cut bell peppers--to minimize the seeds from making a huge mess:
Put pepper upside down on cutting surface.
Cut the bottom on an angle...
... And continue to go around...
... And around... 
... And around... 
Until what's left are the seeds--which should be left intact.  Discard seeds (OR you can save them and plant them.  I will provide an entry for seed saving at another time).
Place chopped vegetables on a baking tray.  Drizzle liberally with olive oil and slowly roast for one hour.
One hour of roasting is up.


Transfer roasted vegetables into a medium pot. Add water and salt.  

On medium low heat, cover and cook until you see a set light boil/simmer.  On my current stove (I said current because we are getting a new stove in a couple of days.  Yay!!!) , that takes approximately three minutes.
Turn the heat down to low, and start to blend.  As you see, I use an immersion (stick) blender.  If you don't have an immersion blender, then transfer contents to a regular blender and process.  I do however, encourage you to invest in an immersion blender.  It saves time, in both cooking and cleaning (no need to use and wash your regular blender).  Blend...

... Until smooth.
Taste and check for seasoning.  In this batch, I preferred it a bit more savory, so I added a little more salt.




 Enjoy!

As you can see, I garnished mine with red pepper flakes.  You can garnish it (or not) however you wish.  Alongside the soup, I served it with homemade crusty baguette (which I forget to add in the pic)--as my Ish likes to sop up his soup with bread (I will provide the recipe for the bread at another time).


I hope you enjoy this wonderful soup.  It's wonderful for cool days--as well as something to do with in season produce (I may make this soup with the tomatoes and peppers from my garden). If you make it, I'd be really interested in knowing how this turned out for you.  Please let me know.  Would love to hear from you!
I appreciate your taking the time in checking out my blog.  I do not take your visits for granted. Thank you so much, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Shalom shalom.
Bathshua

No comments:

Post a Comment