Sunday, January 26, 2020

Elderberry Syrup

Shalom Shalom!

This is the last entry for today.  I will do my best not to wait this long to post an entry again!  This one is much requested, and especially since it's cold and flu season.  Elderberry has become all the rage over the last several years.  Elderberries contain Vitamin C and other compounds that fight against infection and virus.  There have been studies to show that elderberry can even help stave off the flu virus!  I tell you, Yahuah is awesome!  Everything that we need we can find in nature!

Because of its popularity, elderberry syrup--which was once either exclusive homemade or found in health food stores, are now being commercially made by major conglomerates.  I'm now seeing elderberry syrup in drug stores now.  Ummm, thanks, but no thanks.  I'd rather still make my own, and now that it's becoming commercialized, I'm skeptical as to what else they're putting in it to make it shelf-stable.  This can be used as a preventative for illness or as a remedy to should either you or one in your family become inflicted with a bacterial or viral infection.  It is incredibly easy to make, and children will LOVE taking it!  As a matter of fact, my husband prefers elderberry syrup over fire cider, so with that said, it would behoove me to keep an ongoing supply throughout the cold and flu season.  Interested?  Please keep reading!

Here's what you need...
* 6 cups of distilled water (this measuring cup holds 4, but I put the extra 2 cups in the pan separately)
*1 cup of dried elderberries
*A piece or two of fresh ginger, sliced.  I don't peel mine, but if you want to peel yours, then feel free to do so.
*2 cinnamon sticks
*10 whole cloves
*1 cup of raw honey

First, add your elderberries, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves...

...then add your water.

Bring to a boil and allow to simmer on a low heat for about an hour.  You'll want the concoction to reduce by like an inch to an inch and a half from the top

After one hour of simmering, turn off, and allow to cool.  You don't want it to be piping hot before adding the honey--as raw honey still has all the antibacterial and antifungal properties and enzymes in it.  Heat it will kill off those wonderful properties.

Next, strain the liquid from the solids.  This pan has a lid with straining holes on it.  If you don't have a lid like this, the a regular mesh strainer will work just as fine.

Here is my cooled concoction.  Remember, I started with using 6 cups of water, and as you can see, it has reduced.  Reducing the liquid helps with the thickness of the final product--as well as getting the opportunity to draw out more of the beneficial properties of the first several ingredients.

Next, add your honey...

...and stir well.  Your elderberry syrup is ready to use and be bottled.

For my holding vessels, I chose these 16 ounce clear glass jars.  You can get these bottles from Amazon, but I am using recycled bottles.  These bottles initially contained kombucha that a brother we know makes.  Because the bottles were perfect for things--like elderberry syrup (or even fire cider), I cleaned and sanitized them shortly after use (by cleaning and sanitizing, what I did was wash both the bottles and lids in hot soapy water, then put on a baking sheet and in the oven for 225 degrees F for 20-30 minutes. I also do this method with canning jars, and they are sanitized just as well as if you would have put them in boiling water).

Next, transfer the syrup and their holding vessels...
...and either use or store.  

Above, I mentioned how the elderberry syrup sold in the drug stores were more than likely made to be shelf stable, but REAL elderberry syrup is not.  If you keep this out at room temperature, mold will definitely grow on it.  In order to prevent that, store your elderberry syrup in the refrigerator, and it will last for about a month.

Dosage-wise, my husband and I take about a shot glass (approximately 1 ounce) a day as a preventative.  For children, you may want to give a smaller dosage--perhaps a teaspoon.  Because this contains honey, it is NOT safe to give to children under a year old.


I hope you and your family (aside from children under 1 year) enjoy this delicious remedy.  I know that there are other blogs and videos on how to make elderberry syrup, but this is how I make mine.  If interested, I encourage you to try mine, and provide some feedback.  Any and all feedback is most welcomed.

Thank you again for visiting Teacher of Good Things.  So until the next entry, Shalom Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. Shalum. i have found the Famous recipe that i have heard about,I look forward to making this. Also love that it has ginger.

    ReplyDelete