Saturday, October 13, 2018

Fermentation: Apple Cider Vinegar






Shalom Shalom!

This has been a long awaited post from a number of people.  As with every other recipe that I post, I like to test it first before getting you all to do it.  My aim is to make sure that what I'm giving you is accurate and that you would have success every time.

Now, to the topic at hand...apple cider vinegar.  I'm sure each person who follows this blog may have a bottle of raw, organic apple cider vinegar in their house.  It has many uses--from salad dresses and making alkalizing drinks to clearing up acne and as a deep cleanse for your hair.  As wonderful as it is, we mainly see one particular brand being sold in the stores.  While the brand seen is a GOOD brand--along with everything else it sells, the apple cider vinegar can get a little pricey.  

For me to start making my own apple cider vinegar was just happenstance.  I was scrolling through my Facebook feed, and saw a video on making apple cider vinegar using only scraps--like the peels and cores. I thought "Wow!  I can do this--AND save money".  I make smoothies for our breakfast every morning, and use an apple as a component.  I  thought "What a cleaver way to use something that would otherwise be thrown away".  That being said, I starting saving the apple cores and any peels and proceeded to start making my own (my first batch was made with cores and peels from apples when I made an apple brown betty dessert).  Before I started, I enrolled in YouTube University to see if I can find any "courses" on how to make it.  While there were a plethora of videos showing how to make apple cider vinegar, I've noticed that many videos used store bought apple cider vinegar (ACV).  Because I am always one who want to make my items TOTALLY from scratch, using store bought ACV didn't sit well with me. While there were some available, I saw very few videos of people making ACV without some kind of store bought "starter".  So that's what I did, and that's what I am presenting to you.

Mind you, I tried to get this entry in sooner, but over the course of this summer, I started two batches and they both gotten moldy on me.  That being said, they were thrown away.  The batch made for this entry is my third attempt of the summer, and guess what?  NO MOLD!  After you make this, I assure you, you will NEVER buy store bought again.  And if you use ACV as much as we do, making it will bring forth tremendous savings.  So without further ado, here is the recipe.  Enjoy!




As you can see, all you need is three ingredients:  Apple scraps, sugar, and water.  

The apple scraps are cores from Granny Smith apples that I use in our morning smoothies.  After making the smoothies, I take the cores and put them in a freezer bag and into a freezer--until I'm ready to make ACV with them. To do this is absolutely fine. You can use any kind of apples you wish--just know that with each apple, it could impart a different taste and/or aroma.  Like wine, apples have different flavors and notes as well. 

The sugar is just organic cane sugar. Use any sugar that you have in the house, but organic cane sugar (or cane sugar juice) is preferrable--if you choose to keep things totally organic.

The water is filtered water.  We have a water distiller in our home--so this is always at our disposal.  I would, however, caution you from using tap water due to the amounts of chlorine/chloramine and/or flouride.  If you don't have a water distiller or distilled water, then purchasing distilled or spring water would be best.

Oh, we can't forget a vessel to hold everything in, can we?  This is a VERY clean 1-gallon glass jar.  You want to make sure that whenever you are creating a ferment that you tools and vessels are as clean and sanitary as possible.  Simply wash with hot, soapy water, and for extra sanitation, you can put jar in a 225 degree oven for 20 minutes in order to sterilize it (that's how I sterilize my jars for canning).

Next, fill three-quarters of the jar with apple scraps.  Luckily, what was in the bag was just enough.  You don't want to fill it up to the top--as you want to make sure that the scraps are submerged in the liquid.  If you fill it up all the way--with the water, expect spillage and possibly...spoilage and mold.  I've done that before, and it's not good.

Next, you'll need your filtered or spring water.  Add the sugar to the water.  You'll want to add 1 tablespoon per 1 cup of water.  Since this is 4-cup measuring cup, I would want to add 4 tablespoons of sugar.

Add the sugar and stir. and there is your sugar water.  The sugar water will help attract yeast that is automatically in the air, and thus, begin the fermentation process.

Pour the water into the container over the apple scraps--until they are covered...

...like this.  They will rise to the top, but that's okay.  We have something to remedy that.

Next you're going to want to add a weight or something to keep the apple scraps submerged in the liquid.  What I have here is a cheese mold that I got for about $12 on Amazon.  If you don't have a cheese mold, find something with holes, that can fit in the mouth of the jar--in order to keep the scraps submerged. In doing this, you will prevent mold and spoilage from infiltrating your ferment.

Next, cover with cheesecloth and affix a rubber band or a string to it.  This will also keep the weight secure and the scraps emerged.

Next, label and date your ferment.  This is important--so you'll know when to complete the next step.  Allow to sit for two weeks--stirring and pushing down the apple scraps in the liquid daily (or every other day).

With a wooden or plastic spoon, stir the liquid and push down the scraps.  Eventually, the scraps will remain submerged--as they will sink to the bottom...

...like this.

As the label says, I started this batch on 8/25/2018.  Two weeks and a day later (9/9/2018), the ferment is ready for the next step

What you want to do next is strain the solids from the liquid.  Pour the contents into a bowl--with a mesh strainer separating the solids from the liquid.

Here are the spent apple scraps.  Unfortunately, because insects got into my one compost heap, I have to throw these away (until I am able to get an insect-proof composter).  I strong encourage you that if you can, put these scraps either in your compost or feed to your red wigglers (if you are making vermicompost)--in order to keep something additional out of the landfills. I will get there again...one day, lol.

Here is the empty container...almost.  At first, I thought of getting out those seeds, but decided not to because, if you see that residue at the bottom, that is the foundation for building up the "mother" (or SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) that contains the priobiotics and all of the health benefits).  Since we want to build a mother, DO NOT wash this out.  You're going to add the liquid back into the jar.  I assure you, you will have A LOT of mother--which equates to A LOT of health benefits.

Next, strain the apple scraps of any excess liquid...

...and pour the liquid back into the jar.

This is all of the liquid left.  This should yield me about two 32-ounce bottles of ACV.

Next, re-cover the jar with the same cheesecloth used in the first step of the fermentation (the weight is no longer needed at this stage), and allow to sit for one month.


One month...and one day later (10/10/2018), and the vinegar is now ready.  As you can see at the bottom of the jar, there is some dark sediment there.  That is the mother, and you more than likely wouldn't get that much if you wash out the jar prior to the second fermentation process.  Remember, the mother in anything fermented is important.  It contains probiotics and other nutrients for health.

To make it easy for me, I poured some in this four-cup measuring cup...
...and into some bottles.  These are bottles that I have left over from store bought ACV.  I decided to save them since I decided to start making my own.


Pour your vinegar into the bottles. 

If you look at this pic, I have much of the mother in there.  I want to fit that into my bottles.  So what I did was pour the vinegar alternately into the bottles--refilling the measuring cup once at halfway... 

...and voila.  Apple Cider Vinegar...with the mother. I filled the bottles as noted above because, from experience, I would fill up the bottles and leave no room for the mother.  Also, I always have a little extra that won't fit in a bottle, so by filling the bottles up the way I did, I don't have a small container of just mother.  The remainder is in a 4oz jar - - which will be used in my Ish's foot soak. 

You can use it as you would any store bought vinegar--from salad dressings to BBQ sauce...from ACV drinks to Fire Cider ( check out the entry on how to make that for this up and coming cold and flu season) 


I hope that you will start making your own Apple Cider Vinegar as a means to become more self-sufficient and to save money   If you consume apples often, this is an EXCELLENT way of recycling your scraps.  Should you make a batch, please let me know how it turns out for you.  Since I've been on a fermentation kick, my next couple of entries will be on making sauerkraut and coconut yogurt.  Stay tuned and thank you for stopping by Teacher Of Good Things.  Shalom shalom  

Bathshua 

No comments:

Post a Comment